Saturday, April 20, 2024

A Blessing

Dear Friends and Family,

I (Lizzie) get the privilege of sharing with you the final blog of LIFT 47’s mission experience in Guatemala. Throughout the past few weeks we have been updating you with our different experiences, so in this post, I want to share with you how God was working in the lives of LIFT 47. I think that often when we think of short-term missions trips, we think of how we are going to go and be of assistance to the people in the country. However, even though this is true, I think that most of us can honestly say that we have learned something or been blessed in some way by our time in Guatemala. I know that I can say this is true for myself and my experience. As I considered this, I asked the LIFTers to share a quick thought on something they learned during the last few weeks. Here I have included responses from some of my fellow LIFTers:

“It is good to wait for the Lord. It is good to rely on God and trust that He is going to take care of you. (Lamentations 3:24-27, Psalm 27:14, Psalm 33:20- 22, Psalm 37:7 & 34, Psalm 46:10, Psalm 62:5, Psalm 130:5-6, Isaiah 30:18, Isaiah 40:31, Isaiah 64:4, Romans 15:13, Jeremiah 17:5-8).” - Emma Coad (Women’s Social Work)

- Gabe Ciccarello (Trade School) “The power of prayer”

- Evelyn Jensen (Special Education) “God is THE healer”

“Byron talked to us about how we always need to pray and thank God for the ability to move our bodies and exercise, because God can humble us and cripple us and we need to always be grateful for being healthy” - Tenrick Renninger (Sports)

“At Physical Therapy Gaby provided an excellent example of someone who is wholly dependent on prayer. Whether a patient’s situation was desperate or not, she always prayed for them. That was a great reminder of how there’s no prayer too big or too small for God.” - Joshua Magary (Physical Therapy)


I have heard from other LIFTers how God has provided peace in the challenges. How through the site leaders we have learned more about patience, prayer, persistence, and joy in the struggles. I have heard how through home stays we have learned more about enjoying time with others, living in the moment, community, happiness, appreciating the little things, and maintaining the joy of the Lord even in the struggles. And we have also learned more about ourselves through this trip; about our gifts and talents, and how we can serve the Lord with them.

Throughout the past two weeks I have experienced God’s love through the people living in Guatemala. I was shown so much hospitality, grace, patience, and kindness. I witnessed the SI missionaries and Interns showing the love of God in all they do; loving people even when it is not easy. Constantly making sacrifices of their time, money, and energy to let others know that there is a God who loves them. I was blessed with the hospitality of my host family. They opened up their home to me, fed me, waited for me to return home, welcomed me in with hugs, and at the end of my stay, told me and the other three girls staying with me that we had a home in Guatemala, and whenever we wanted to come back, we have a family to stay with.

LIFT 47 truly had an amazing experience in Guatemala with the SI ministry. The missionaries at SI were not only serving the people in Guatemala but were also serving us. They really cared for everyone who crossed their path. They are an amazing example for us as to what it means to die to self, take up your cross and follow Jesus. Even when it is hard, keep persisting, because we have hope that this world is not the end.

As we were flying back, I was reading Hebrews, and there were a few verses that the Lord laid on my heart.

“The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word.” - Hebrews 1: 3 a

We faced challenges and difficult things these past two weeks in Guatemala, but the Lord never left us. He is our sustainer. He holds all things together.

See to it, brothers and sisters, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness. We have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original conviction firmly to the very end.” - Hebrews 3:12-14

During this trip I felt convicted by one of the devotions. We were reading Proverbs 3:5-6, and as I read along, I realized how often I rely on my own understanding and neglect to simply trust in the Lord with all my heart. As this verse in Hebrews says, we are not to have an unbelieving heart that turns away from God. But instead, we are called to encourage one another daily.

“Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.” - Hebrews 4:13

Finally, Hebrews 4:13. Someday we will stand before the Living God and must give account for all our actions. Have we shown the love of God to others? Have we lived our lives striving to honor him in everything we do? Are we constantly aware of opportunities to share the hope that we have with others? I know that I have often fallen short of this. But when I reach heaven, I want to hear from my Lord “Well done, good and faithful servant!

“His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’” - Matthew 25:21

These past two weeks we as a LIFT group learned and experienced many new things. I want to thank all of you again for your continued support throughout this trip. Your prayers are invaluable to us, and we are so thankful for your financial support which allowed us to go in the first place. Again, thank you so much.

Please continue to be praying for the SI missionaries, people in Guatemala, and LIFT 47 as we are nearing the end of our year together.

SI missionaries:

- Please be praying for the SI missionaries, that their energy would be renewed daily, and that they would get the financial support that they need. Please pray about the possibility of financially supporting the SI missionaries in Guatemala. The Lord is doing amazing things through SI, and some of the missionaries are not fully funded.

Guatemala:

- We as LIFT 47 sang the song “The Blessing” over Guatemala while on the volcano. I ask that you would also be praying a blessing over Guatemala. Pray for the hearts of the people in Guatemala, that they would be open to the Lord. Pray that they would experience healing.

LIFT 47:

- Pray for us as a LIFT group, that we would finish strong. Pray that we would invest in each other, that we would grow in our relationships with each other and with the Lord in these next two weeks.

God Bless and thank you all once again!

- Lizzie

No comments:

Post a Comment