Thursday, November 14, 2019

Sponsorship and joy




What would someone immediately think if they were asked what they expected to be doing while working for the social work and sponsorship site here in Guatemala? My immediate thoughts on that question were pretty bleak if I may be quite frank with you all. I had no idea what to expect nor did I come into Guatemala with any expectations or assumptions. But what has happened at this work site so far has blessed my fellow LIFTers and myself more than we ever would have thought possible.

To explain, with any depth our experience here so far would be near impossible were I not completely awestruck by how God is stirring our hearts through the people of this amazing country. I encourage you to seek to soak in as much joy as you can find behind these words I am placing from pen to paper.

Know the humility and joy Jami found as she simply updated specific profile photos of students. Imagine the things one must do to get someone to smile when you don’t know how to say smile in Spanish. Feel the love and joy Elysha has felt as she has built relationships with dozens of children. Day after day she sees their smiles grow more and more every morning they see her. Try if you can to place yourself in the shoes of Max as Selvin, a sponsored student here at Students International, finished sharing his testimony and then proceeded to tell Max how he was thankful Max was here obeying God’s call in his life to come show the love of Christ to everyone who would listen. God is moving here in our hearts and in the hearts of those with us in Guatemala.

God’s calling in our lives has brought us to this place where we have received just as much as we have given. We have learned more than we have been able to teach. We have been witnessed to as much as we have witnessed to others. We have been so blessed by being a part of the work here at S.I. in the work site of sponsorship and social work. I personally could not have wished for anything more than what God has given me here on this trip.

-Ethan White

No comments:

Post a Comment