Monday, November 5, 2018

Listen


Today has almost come to a close here in Magdalena.  I just finished a delicious dinner with my host family and roommates.  I am now sitting on my bed as I write, surrounded by the sounds . . . culture shock just a week ago, but now I take comfort in.  I hear the dogs barking, children playing, and the occasional fireworks exploding in celebration of someone’s birthday.

It is Sunday.  The team and I had the opportunity to go to a bilingual church today in Antigua.  The team and I went to the Spanish service.  I’m glad we did as it was great to worship with our sisters and brothers in Christ in Spanish!

Today was a great time to rest as God has been preparing my heart for the week to come.  This next week, I will continue to serve, with two other LIFters, Aimee and Lynette, in the special education site alongside the missionaries from Students International.  I am excited to tell you a little bit about my site! At the school, the missionaries, Brenda and Shelly, serve and teach students with a variety of intellectual disabilities.  There is a morning and afternoon class that meets three times a week. During class the students practice their math skills, play games together, have a devotional, do a craft, and have time to socialize with each other as they enjoy a snack.  Brenda and Shelly are so loving and patience with the students as they demonstrate God’s love through their actions and kind words.
Also, two young boys with autism, come to the school three times a week.  Both of the boys are nonverbal but they clearly communicate with their smiles and laughs.  The boys love playing outside in the school’s small garden as they joyfully interact with whoever is kicking a ball to them or spinning them around in circles.  Also, a couple of days a week people within the community come to receive physical therapy at the school.

Aimee, Lynette, and I asked Shelly about how special needs is generally viewed in Guatemala.  She said that it is commonly looked down upon.  She told us that students have often told her stories of people calling them ugly and stupid on the streets.  Shelly also shared with us that some of the families of these children are often unkind to them as well.  She shared with us that when one student walks up to his cousins they run away from him.  They do this because he scares them as they do not understand his disability.  Hearing about how special needs is viewed here continues to break my heart.  I feel a heavy sadness for the students at this school.  Yet, I am happy and thankful for the privilege to serve these students with God’s love in me. Because they are discarded by society, the students believe that they are less important.  

Shelly and Brenda have been working on self-worth with the students to counteract these lies.  I created a sign that was hung in the classroom that says, translated in English, “I am intelligent. I am handsome/pretty.  I am invaluable”.  Brenda talked to the students about the truth of who they are. Also, with the students we made paper machete balloons and wrote Psalms 139:14 which reads, “I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.”  I would encourage you to pray for these students as they begin to believe to the truth of who they are.  Also, pray that they would believe the truth that God created them with purpose.

Shelly told us that a mother shared with her that when she had her son, who has autism, she believed that it was a punishment from God because of the sins she had committed.  Shelly told us that this is a common belief within the culture as intellectual disabilities are misunderstood.  Yet, the mother of this boy has now come around to believe that her son is a blessing and has been given to her by God because God has entrusted her to take care of him.

Last Friday, the special education team went on a house visit to see Pablo, who has muscular dystrophy and intellectual disability.  When we got to the nearby town we sat and waited for Pablo’s father to find us so he could walk us to his house.  Pablo’s dad spotted us and led us to his home.  The path to where Pablo and his family lived looked over a big valley towards a mountain.   We walked awhile on the steep rough path, until we reached dozens of tin houses built with steal sheets.
We walked down makeshift concrete stairs, where many houses on both sides were.  Pablo’s dad then invited us into his home.  There we meet Pablo, who was being held by his mother.  We sat down in the small, well-kept room as we talked with the family.  Pablo’s mother looked into her son’s eyes with so much love.  She talked tenderly to him with gentle words as she held him securely.  Shelly asked Pablo’s mom, “What’s the best thing about being his mom?”  She smiled warmly and answered right away with, “The fact that he is my son and that I get to love him.”  Also, throughout our conversation the dad was lovingly trying to get Pablo’s attention as he smiled and gently waved across the room.  Yet, Pablo remained limp and verbally unresponsive.  I was so moved by the love Pablo’s parents clearly displayed. I also learned, from Shelly and Brenda, that Pablo’s mom carries him all the way up the steep and crooked path to get to the bus to take him to physical therapy.  I was amazed.  The walk to the house felt more like a hike and I was not carrying a six year old like she does!

During our visit Pablo’s father poured us each a glass of Pepsi.  This was a small, but telling gesture that revealed his hospitality and gratitude towards our visit.  Shelly told us that Pablo’s dad is the only father she has even seen at the school revealing his dedication and care for his child.  At the end of the visit, we gave the family fresh cut flowers from the garden at the school and a homemade card with a bible verse.  We prayed over the family and Pablo and thanked them for letting us visit them. Pablo’s mom gave each of us a hug and thanked us again for visiting.

The visit reminded me of the danger of the single story, as Christy mentioned in yesterday’s blog.  I do not want to tell Pablo’s story wrong.  Yes, his parents are financially poor.  But, more importantly, they are rich with love as I watched them care deeply for their son as they clearly reflected Christ’s love.  They choose to love their son as he is despite what society says about him.
I encourage you who are reading this and support us in prayer to take time to ask people their story and listen to what they have to say.  This is one of the most dignifying things you can do to another person. Instead of judging someone on the outside or by what they have, I encourage you to dig deeper and learn about the people around you.  When we are willing to be in relation with another person and listen to their story, it opens doors for us to share the hope and truth that is revealed in the gospel.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the blog today. We are so thankful for all of your prayers this week. I ask that you pray for continued strength and reliance as we continue to serve. Please pray that we continue to not dwell on our needs but rely on Christ throughout the day. We are all so thankful for the privilege God has given us to serve here in Guatemala!

Sarah Dietz


See photos in the LIFT 40 photo album on Facebook at the LIFT Discipleship Program page:


No comments:

Post a Comment