Sunday, November 15, 2015

Half Smiles, Full Hearts, and Empty Nalgenes





 



Walking into the physical therapy site the first day I had no idea what to expect. The site was one room, divided up by three sets of curtains. The supplies they had in order to provide necessary care was very minimal. It consisted of simple things like; yoga gear, free-weights, a stationary bike, foam rollers, and a set of two bars running parallel to each other.


As we began our first work day we jumped right in. Our site leader, Silvio, assigned a few patients to each of us, who we would then work with and take care of for the next 2 weeks.  I thought this meant that we would prep each patient before Silvio would see them. Soon after I thought this, I found out that I was very wrong. These patients became our responsibility and the people we would be ministering to for the next two weeks. To be honest, this made me very nervous, especially after I was able to meet with one of my patients named Santos.  Santos is a 55-year-old who is paralyzed on the right side of his face.  This really tugged at my heart strings.


Over the past two weeks I have been working with Santos in order to restore the muscles and nerves in his face.  Every single morning Santos walks into the office and smiles the biggest smile he can, which only ends up being half a smile.  He then walks to the back of the room, behind a curtain and sits down on the medical bed.  He lies down and in broken English says, “Dr. Abby, I am ready to get better.”


Our first 15 minutes consist of different facial exercises that he needs to perform in order to restore muscle-memory. After facial exercises Santos must put a hot pack on his face for 15 minutes, followed by 20 minutes of electric stimulus therapy. During this time Santos and I started to have some great conversations.  In the first few days he would teach me Spanish, and I would teach him English, but as our time went on our conversations got deeper and we were able to joke around more.


For some reason he found it very interesting and funny that I like to drink a lot of water.  Every day he would bring this up.  When I finally explained to him that I do it to have a healthier body he laughed at me, but as I continued to explain he would just tell me all about how much he hated to drink water.  I asked him what his favorite thing to drink was and without hesitation or a second thought he responded, “Beer. I drink it every day.”  For some reason this hurt my heart and I somehow mustered up the strength to challenge him on this lifestyle.  I told him how unhealthy this was, not just for his well-being, but also for his nervous system.  As soon as he heard this his face dropped and he began to talk to be about how he wanted to get better. As we talked about this our time ran out and it was time for him to go.  I felt a little disheartened, but decided to let it go.


The next morning Santos walked in looking happier than I have ever seen him. We went to the back and he said, “Dr. Abby, I have something to tell you. I tried water last night and guess what? I liked it.” I laughed a little but he kept talking, “Dr. Abby, I also thought a lot about what you said and I didn’t drink any beer. Instead, I just drank a lot of water and this morning I felt so good. I don’t think I will ever drink any more beer.”  I looked at him and smiled ear to ear and told him how happy this made me, and realized that God does really work in crazy ways.  This was the last day I spent with Santos and as we parted ways he said to me, “Dr. Abby, my friend, I will miss you.” Then he smiled his funny half smile, waved goodbye, and walked out the door.


I do not think that I could ever forget this experience and how God revealed himself through it. But as a result, and by God’s grace, I go to bed with a full smile, a full heart and an empty Nalgene.


As we leave our sites over the next couple of days please pray that God will continue to reveal Himself to the people of Jarabacoa. Please also pray for good health as we begin preparing for travel home and safety during our last few days here.
Abby Kuder
Check out the updated photos in the facebook album, "LIFT 34 in the DR".


https://www.facebook.com/liftdiscipleshipprogram/

1 comment:

  1. Abby- It is great to see and hear how God is blessing your work and the work of the team. We are praying for the well-being of LIFT 34 and for Santos that he may experience healing.

    ReplyDelete