Monday, November 17, 2014

He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it.




¡Hola amigos y familia! (Hello friends and family!)

Our time here in Jarabacoa is coming to a close as students and leaders alike are debriefing and reflecting on the ministry we’ve been involved in for the past two weeks. It is truly incredible to see how the Lord has worked in each one of our lives, both American and Dominican. The missionaries we have worked alongside with taught each student just how much sacrifice is required for fulltime ministry and how the Lord blesses obedience to His calling. We are blessed to have had the opportunity to experience a little taste of cross cultural occupational missions.

Matt Calcaterra and I had the opportunity to work with Physical Therapist, Silvio Martinez. We are both perusing a career in physical therapy and were elated to spend two weeks learning from Silvio, having hands-on experience working with patients, and seeing how God uses physical therapy to heal people physically and spiritually. During our time working in PT, we visited a special education site called Genesis, a nursing home, and worked with patients in the clinic. We would often give patients massage therapy, electro-stimulation, ultrasounds, and exercise for the physical ailments. It was very surreal for me to work with PT in the DR because as an undergrad, I would never have the opportunity to have hands on experience like this in America.

I worked with one patient named Maria. She is a Haitian woman with three young children; ages 3, 5, and 8. Her first husband divorced her and her second husband abruptly left her one day and she has never seen him since. Her family is currently living on the street due to the inability to keep her job of cleaning houses because she has severe lower back pain. She was telling me her story as I was applying electro-stimulation and ultrasound gel to her lower back. I was trying my very best to listen and understand what she was saying because my knowledge of Spanish is limited. Although she is without a home, job, and husband, she had the most radiant smile in the clinic. She exuded joy and laughter although she was struggling emotionally, financially, and physically. Her joy through her circumstances touched my heart and made me realize how blessed I am to have my health and family. While working on her lower back I had the opportunity to pray for her. I prayed that the Lord would heal her body, bring restoration to her family, and sustain them in their circumstances. I believe that the Lord will continue to work in her life, and although I am flying back to America tomorrow, Silvio Martinez and his clinic will remain in Jarabacoa to minister to her and others in situations like her.

I continually thank God for giving us this opportunity to serve in Jarabacoa. I also thank each and every one of our supporters, whether you supported our team financially or through prayer. God’s hand was on our trip each and every step of the way.

Here are some things you can continue to partner with us:

1) Financial provision for every full time missionary and ministry site

2) Spiritual breakthrough for every Dominican involved in the lives of the fulltime missionaries

3) A safe and complication-free flight home J

God bless!

Becky Boyle

for pictures and videos of LIFT 32 in the DR please visit our website:


No comments:

Post a Comment